Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toss-Up Tuesday  (Read 7557 times)

GS Warehouse

Toss-Up Tuesday
« on: June 13, 2006, 01:12:47 PM »
Here's another regular feature from PTI, featuring a mix of game shows and belated analysis on the fall schedules.  Later on, I'll chime in and do the penguin dance all over you. :-)

Toss Up: Which Game Show Marathon game should Fremantle give another chance in syndication next year--Match Game or Card Sharks?

Toss Up: Bigger waste of network money--Big Brother: All-Stars or the Stanley Cup Finals?

Toss Up: When should The Amazing Race 10 have been scheduled--fall or midseason?

Toss Up: When should Dancing with the Stars 3 have been scheduled--fall or midseason?

Toss Up: Which game should ABC have chosen to take over the 8:00 Tuesday hour after Dancing ends--Set for the Rest of Your Life or Super Millionaire?

Toss Up: More surprising ABC renewal--The Bachelor or What About Brian?

Toss Up: More promising new fall drama: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip or Shark?

Toss Up: More annoying--Gilbert Gottfried or Patrick Wayne?

Toss Up: Which uberchampion would you take in a quiz bowl--Brad Rutter or Thom McKee?

Last one! Toss Up: Which DoND model would you take in a steel-cage, no-holds-barred mud wrestling match--ex-dodgeballer Kim or wrestling diva wannabe Leyla?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 01:18:23 PM »
Toss Up: Which Game Show Marathon game should Fremantle give another chance in syndication next year--Match Game or Card Sharks
Card Sharks, if they do it right.  If they can't do it right...neither.  I don't think Match Game will ever come back with the charm of the original two versions.

Toss Up: Bigger waste of network money--Big Brother: All-Stars or the Stanley Cup Finals?
Marginally, Big Brother over the Stanley Cup...only because I think hockey deserves a little respect.

Toss Up: When should The Amazing Race 10 have been scheduled--fall or midseason?
Midseason.

Gilbert.  I wanted to punch him in the face whenever he appeared on HS.

Toss Up: Which uberchampion would you take in a quiz bowl--Brad Rutter or Thom McKee?
Brad Rutter. McKee's knowledge seemed more of the garden-variety.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 01:18:42 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 01:33:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'121291\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 10:18 AM\']
Brad Rutter. McKee's knowledge seemed more of the garden-variety.[/quote]I'm curious. What is the garden-variety? I realize that Tic Tac Dough wasn't known for asking brain busting questions, but you can't win 40 games of that without knowing a little something. Clearly he's a smart guy.

As for who I want on my Knowledge Bowl team, there's no question I make Brad Rutter my #1 draft pick.
Travis L. Eberle

KrisW73

Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 01:41:42 PM »
Toss Up: Which Game Show Marathon game should Fremantle give another chance in syndication next year--Match Game or Card Sharks?

Card Sharks if they can keep the 1986 rules- never get the chemistry of MG '7X unless Fremantle gets very lucky.

BBAS- hockey gets a sembalnce of respect

Toss Up: When should Dancing with the Stars 3 have been scheduled--fall or midseason?

Midseason- AI is getting old

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight- Gilbert has comedic value- Wayne does not.

Thom- 40 games means he has to know a thing or 20.

Last one! Toss Up: Which DoND model would you take in a steel-cage, no-holds-barred mud wrestling match--ex-dodgeballer Kim or wrestling diva wannabe Leyla?

Leyla's hotter- I don't wrestle- bad shoulder/knee

weaklink75

Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 01:52:36 PM »

Card Sharks--the Perry version, not the 2001 version...

Well even if you factor in that NBC paid no rights fee....still, Stanley Cup. BB is at least pretty consistant in the 18-49's..

Actually midseason....I like the Sunday night slot, but you're going to get a few delays when CBS has the double-header...

Fall, if they don't plan to do two runs a season....which they might tho...

Toss Up: Which game should ABC have chosen to take over the 8:00 Tuesday hour after Dancing ends--Set for the Rest of Your Life or Super Millionaire?

Super Millionaire...

What about Brian got the biggest what the?? from me...

I'd watch Shark more likely than Studio 60...

YOOUUU WINNN Wayne...

Rutter, since his game used buzzers more...

Kim, if there's a "fans bring the weapons" stipulation....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 01:53:14 PM by weaklink75 »

FOXSportsFan

Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 02:33:24 PM »
Oh yay, a way for me to like Mr. Tony!

-> Knowing full well, neither will...and seeing as how Match Game hasn't been as successful...I'll give the edge to Card Sharks.

-> BB: AS!  By far and away.  Remember, NBC didn't pay for the broadcast rights to the NHL, they split advertising revenue with the NHL so no matter what, NBC makes something.

-> I am going midseason on this.  CBS has a pretty strong lineup, but inevitably a comedy or a drama will falter setting up for TAR 10.

-> I think Fall.  Look at it this way, ABC needs a bit of a jolt, and Dancing gave them that jolt.  Also, they can have an audience all their own and not have to be scheduled against or alongside American Idol.

-> I'm going to regret this: Set for the Rest of Your Life...I think the Millionaire momentum has died out and is just perfect for 5 a week syndication.  Something new can't hurt, can it?

-> The Bachelor...yeah ratings may have swooned up a little bit, but in the end it's not going to stay that way.  It's not worth the time, effort, and lost brain cells.  Though WAB doesn't do much for me either.

-> On the sheer belief that something like Studio 60 has doom all over it from, among other things, having to switch timeslots already, I'll go with Shark.  The kids love Shark, don't they.

-> YOU FOOL!  It's Patrick WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYNE!  Larry Van Nuys still needs the therapy to recover from announcing that show I think.

-> Oh we can't have KenJen!  C'mon!  Much as I'd like to with Brad, I have to go with Thom.  Anyone who can handle the cheese of Wink Martindale and Tic Tac Dough and STILL win game after game...that's the kinda guy I want on my team.

-> I don't know if one should pick, because in the end we'd all be winners wouldn't be.  Uncle Wilbon will love that matchup!

That's it...Toss-Up's done!  I tossed him like a salad didn't I, boys and girls.

Scott

Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 02:48:53 PM »

If it's done like the first two versions, and not like that crappy 2001 revival, CS.  Otherwise, I'm going off the board and going with PYL.

Mr. "YOU WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!" I disqualify Gilbert because I think he's a pretty cool guy.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'121289\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 01:12 PM\']
Here's another regular feature from PTI, featuring a mix of game shows and belated analysis on the fall schedules.  Later on, I'll chime in and do the penguin dance all over you. :-)

Toss Up: Which Game Show Marathon game should Fremantle give another chance in syndication next year--Match Game or Card Sharks?[/quote]

Neither. Fremantle (well, Goodson, if we wanna be technical) screwed up with the last two revivals of both shows. Unless they can do it right, which I doubt they can, they shouldn't bother.

Oh, please. Big Brother All-Stars without a doubt. There is no comparison.

b]Toss Up:[/b] When should The Amazing Race 10 have been scheduled--fall or midseason?

Fall. Ain't much else to put on this fall, why not?

Still don't get what America's fascination with this is. I abstain.

I'd have much rather seen Super Millionaire (that way I could qualify again and win $10 million ;)). But from what I heard about Set, I'd at least give it one shot.

The Bachelor. Haven't they had enough yet?

Don't think either has a shot.

That's like asking me if pizza with cheese is better than pizza without cheese. It's Gottfried all the way, baby!

Bring 'em both on! I'll take 'em both down!

Well...could I be special referee?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jackpotman800

Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:04:08 PM »

I hate to admit it, but I agree with most of you. Card Sharks wins hands down; Frementle just has to make it like the Perry & Eubanks version.

Big Brother: All-Stars; I have nothing against sports.

midseason

definetly fall

Super Millionaire all the way!

The Bachelor

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

neither; Gibert Gottfried certinly doesn't make us laugh for nothin', and the truth at the matter is for Patrick Wayne is... well although he's not the perfect host for Tic Tac Dough, he is a cool guy.

Probably Thom McKee, after seeing Brad Rutter's performace & his $2,000,000 win, I wouldn't dare face him at all.

I guess Kim Estrada cause I don't think Leyla is the wrestling type. Hmm, I wonder if Kim can can take on me wearing the cute pink outfit she used to wear on Extreme Dodgeball?

Tony

Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 04:32:49 PM »
From one Tony to (sort of) another ;)

Between the two, I would pick Card Sharks because it at least can theoretically be done right by other people than the original participants.  Match Game's panel chemistry would be much harder to pull off, plus the level of humor of the '70s version was fairly edgy for its day but too tame to pass muster today.

Big Brother.  Need I say more? (of course I didn't, don't, and won't watch either)

I've never been into that show, so I don't care either way.

Midseason.

While Super Millionaire might still be a somewhat different beast than Meredith's Who Has Absolutely No Chance of Being a Millionaire (as I like to call it), I'd still like to see a new format tried out.  Therefore, Set For the Rest of Your Life.

The Bachelor by a nose.

Don't know, don't care.

Since Gilbert doesn't seem to take himself seriously in his act, while Patrick did, the edge goes to Patrick.

Brad Rutter.  Thom's more direct comparison, Ken Jennings, could beat Thom IMO, as Jeopardy! on a regular day is still a much tougher quiz than Tic Tac Dough.  And since Brad can take on Ken and hold his own,...

My favorite of all the case models, Leyla Milani.  (Of course, the match would involve, let's just say, a somewhat different style of wrestling ;) )

From one Tony to (sort of) another ;)

Between the two, I would pick Card Sharks because it at least can theoretically be done right by other people than the original participants.  Match Game's panel chemistry would be much harder to pull off, plus the level of humor of the '70s version was fairly edgy for its day but too tame to pass muster today.

Big Brother.  Need I say more? (of course I didn't, don't, and won't watch either)

I've never been into that show, so I don't care either way.

Midseason.

While Super Millionaire might still be a somewhat different beast than Meredith's Who Has Absolutely No Chance of Being a Millionaire (as I like to call it), I'd still like to see a new format tried out.  Therefore, Set For the Rest of Your Life.

The Bachelor by a nose.

Don't know, don't care.

Since Gilbert doesn't seem to take himself seriously in his act, while Patrick did, the edge goes to Patrick.

Brad Rutter.  Thom's more direct comparison, Ken Jennings, could beat Thom IMO, as Jeopardy! on a regular day is still a much tougher quiz than Tic Tac Dough.  And since Brad can take on Ken and hold his own,...

My favorite of all the case models, Leyla Milani.  (Of course, if it was me in the cage, the match would involve, let's just say, a somewhat different style of wrestling ;) )

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 04:40:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' post=\'121309\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 01:32 PM\']

Big Brother.  Need I say more? (of course I didn't, don't, and won't watch either)[/quote]I don't know why I continue to be surprised at people who post the most misinformed of opinions.

"Why no, I've never tried a snozzberry! They taste awful!"
"But how would you know? You admit you've never actually tried one."
"They just are! I'd never try one."

If you don't like Big Brother, that's fine. It's not everyone's cup of tea. To reject it out of hand because you've never seen it is a fallacious argument, and makes you look downright silly.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 05:07:42 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'121289\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 01:12 PM\']

I'd choose Match Game, but maybe return to the sixties format with more provocative questions.

Well, since no money is being spent by NBC for the hockey, I'll say BB.  

Midseason.  The show may have run its course.

Fall.  I'm in favor of having Tom employed as much as possible.

SFTROYL.  I like to see new concepts attempted.

WAB.  That renewal came outta nowhere.

Shark.  People like shows with titles that are easy to remember.

Both are actors playing a role but Pat Wayne was done in by poor direction.  Dan Enright should have looked at the first few shows and told him what he was doing wrong.  I'll say Gottfried.

When you say take, do you mean choose or defeat?  I'd select Thom to be on my team because all the gals love a man in a uniform.

[/quote]

Leyla.  She got me on my knees.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 05:32:04 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'121310\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 01:40 PM\']
If you don't like Big Brother, that's fine. It's not everyone's cup of tea. To reject it out of hand because you've never seen it is a fallacious argument, and makes you look downright silly.
[/quote]
Ditto the Cup Finals, which have been some exceptional (if, alas, Shark-free) hockey. I mean, REALLY good. I'm hoping it makes it back to Edmonton for a Game Six just to hear those fans again. Damn.

(I've found that people who crap on hockey are generally closed-minded folks who never gave the game a chance.)
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'121311\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 02:07 PM\']
Leyla.  She got me on my knees.
[/quote]
Well played, sir.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'121312\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 04:32 PM\']
Ditto the Cup Finals, which have been some exceptional (if, alas, Shark-free) hockey. I mean, REALLY good. I'm hoping it makes it back to Edmonton for a Game Six just to hear those fans again. Damn.
[/quote]
Normally, I'd agree with you, except for the fact that I'm going to a concert Saturday and would miss it (and while taping a sporting event is an option, it's not a very good one, considering I'm going to be spoiled on what happens before I'd get the chance to view it anyway).

So I'd just as soon Carolina ends it Wednesday, for purely selfish reasons.  And given NBC's ratings, they might be rooting the same way.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 05:53:05 PM »
And while I'm at it--might as well chime in with the rest.

[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'121289\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 12:12 PM\']
[/quote]
Neither--they'd screw both up.

[/quote]
BB.

[/quote]
Either would be fine--I question putting it on Sundays with the potential football runover.

[/quote]
Fall.

[/quote]
I'll give SFTROYL a chance.

[/quote]
They were both renewed?

[/quote]
Well, if Sorkin doesn't burn out the way he did on WEST WING, he's got a shot (frankly, I'm surprised NBC gave him another shot).

[/quote]
AFLAC!

[/quote]
Rutter (although if I get to say hello to McKee in Burbank next month I may go the other way :-) ).

[/quote]
Yes.

Doug
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:54:44 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)